top of page

Primary producers can apply for a concession on their vehicle registration

Find out if you qualify and how to apply.

What is a primary producer? A primary producer is a person or incorporated body who cultivates or uses their own or someone else's land for their own benefit:

  • for the production of fruit, grains, flowers, vegetables, tobacco or farm or agricultural produce of any description

  • for dairy farming, poultry or other bird farming, pig farming, bee keeping, or oyster or fish culture

  • for a nursery

  • as a pastoralist for the rearing or grazing of horses, cattle or sheep

  • who gather leaves from which eucalyptus or other oil is to be distilled.

For example, fish farmers and plantation forest cultivators are primary producers and are eligible for registration concession. Primary producers claiming the concession for their primary producer vehicles are in most cases farmers using vehicles to cart their own primary produce to market. Companies who are in the transport/haulage business and cart other people's primary produce for hire or reward are not eligible for the concession. Primary producers are not:

  • commercial fishers taking fish from open waters and not purposefully enclosed water for breeding

  • timber loggers where the timber is from a natural grown forest and is not sown and grown

  • freight and transport companies who cart other people's primary produce for hire or reward.

Primary producer vehicle requirements To get a concession, the vehicle must be a motor vehicle (not used for let or hire), owned by the primary producer, incorporated body or rural co-operative. While on road and road-related areas, the vehicle must be principally used for:

  • carting primary products that the primary producer or another primary producer has produced

  • carting leaves which the primary producer or another primary producer has gathered and from which eucalyptus or some other oil is to be distilled

  • carting goods of any kind for use in the primary producer's business or another primary producer's business, or in the primary producer's household or another primary producer's household

  • purposes connected with the clearing of land that the primary producer or another primary producer proposes to use for primary production.

Primary producer vehicles are not:

  • used for let (leased)

  • used for hire (rented)

  • used to receive a fee or reward (including a fee or reward from another primary producer).

What is the registration concession? Primary producer vehicles receive the following concessions. Light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM)

  • Cars and station wagons - private rate of vehicle tax.

  • Trucks and trailers - 55% of business rate of vehicle tax and capped.

  • Tractors - 55% of business rate of vehicle tax and capped.

Heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes GVM)

  • Applicable registration charge or vehicle tax, whichever is lower.

Applying for a primary producer concession To apply for a concession you must provide a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession when you:

  • get a new NSW registration

  • get seasonal registration

  • transfer registration

  • change to primary producer registration usage.

You must also provide the documents listed below to support your application. This is to prove your eligibility for the concession. If you cannot provide the documents, the vehicle cannot be registered for the primary producer concession.

  • A declaration signed by a registered tax agent or accountant, stating the applicant is a primary producer as defined by the Motor Vehicles Taxation Act 1988

  • And one of the following documents:

  1. A Tax Averaging Certificate or Tax Assessment Notice from the Australian Taxation Office (not more than two years old), or

  2. A letter from the Australian Taxation Office confirming the applicant is registered as a primary producer (not more than one year old).

Your registration may be suspended or cancelled if you do not supply one of the documents above when requested. You must also notify NSW Roads and Maritime within 14 days if you no longer qualify for a primary producer concession. You should visit a service centre to do this. Farm vehicles that don't need registration Some vehicles used for the purpose of primary production do not have to be registered. These include vehicles solely used to cross a road or road-related area which divides land used for the purpose of primary production. The following types of agricultural implements don't need registration:

  • implements towed by a vehicle

  • trailers towed by an agricultural machine

  • irrigating equipment

  • augers

  • conveyors

  • harvester fronts and harvest bins.

Examples of agricultural machinery are tractors and harvesters.



bottom of page